Subject: Re: Writing plug-ins

Re: Writing plug-ins

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:01:12 +0000

> > If I write a bit of code which is useful (primarily and) mainly to
> users of
> > a bit of software which is GPL - I apparently lose my rights to let people
> > make money with my code.
>
>No. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney

"No" is true only when the 'user' is willing and able to conform to:
"The one exception is the required written offer to provide source code
that must accompany binary-only release."
Which (aside of being grammatically incorrect) precludes the/your/my code
from being used in most secure applications.

"Open747, the first choice of Boeing" ain't gonna sell many airline tickets.
LOL ...If *I* knew *my* code were flying the plane, I, for one, would not
be on it - LOL

> > PS. Just an after-thought: If *I* want to use (portions of) my code, which
> > has been copy-left infected, in a commercial product... do I also lose the
> > rights to what was originally my own "Intellectual Property"?
>
>No. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ReleaseUnderGPLAndNF

"To release a non-free program is always ethically tainted"
LOL ...your ethics are "tainted" (whatever that means) if you write
software for a living - Sounds more like a bit of "Bill Bashing" to me - LOL

BlueChip