Subject: Re: Writing plug-ins

Re: Writing plug-ins

From: Anselm Lingnau <>
Date: 2005-01-13

BlueChip wrote:

> Yes, badly worded, sorry. PD does not _require_ that the source code is
> passed along with the binary ...this _is_ a requirement of GPL.
> [...]
> > have an all-permissive non-copyleft free software license. Public domain
> > status is compatible with the GNU GPL.
> "Public domain status is compatible with the GNU GPL."
> ...Now that is new news which usefully contradicts what I was previously
> told.

This means public domain *source code*. »Public domain« code that is only
available in binary can't be GPL-compatible since the GPL is all about source
code (in particular, »GPL« binaries may only be distributed if the source
code is made available).

Anselm Lingnau, Frankfurt, Germany .....................
Microsoft's biggest and most dangerous contribution to the software industry
may be the degree to which it has lowered user expectations.
                                          -- Esther Schindler, _OS/2 Magazine_