Subject: Re: Writing plug-ins

Re: Writing plug-ins

From: Anselm Lingnau <anselm_at_strathspey.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:25:58 +0100

BlueChip wrote:

> Yes, badly worded, sorry. PD does not _require_ that the source code is
> passed along with the binary ...this _is_ a requirement of GPL.
> [...]
> > have an all-permissive non-copyleft free software license. Public domain
> > status is compatible with the GNU GPL.
>
> "Public domain status is compatible with the GNU GPL."
> ...Now that is new news which usefully contradicts what I was previously
> told.

This means public domain *source code*. »Public domain« code that is only
available in binary can't be GPL-compatible since the GPL is all about source
code (in particular, »GPL« binaries may only be distributed if the source
code is made available).

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Frankfurt, Germany ..................... anselm_at_strathspey.org
Microsoft's biggest and most dangerous contribution to the software industry