Subject: Re: Archos question

Re: Archos question

From: Neon John <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:52:48 -0500

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 06:46:04 -0600, "Jason Williams" <jwilliams_at_wi.rr.com>
wrote:

>Unfortunately with modern digital rights management, there's no way to
>capture that stream other than to record it off your PC with your jukebox or
>tape player.

Not in this case. The music on the Winamp site is ShoutCasted which is
nothing more than streaming mp3. No DRM involved.

To the original question. All you have to do to save a shoutcast stream
to disk is select the disk_write output option in WinAmp. If the modern
WinAmp doesn't have that option still, get an older version from here:

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winamp

I know that everything through 3.0 has the disk_write option.

That will work but it isn't the optimum solution. It can only record one
stream at a time and is limited to real time.

There is a really nifty program that can manage almost any kind of
download including streaming media called NetTransport:

http://www.xi-soft.com/default.htm

It can download as many simultaneous threads as your internet bandwidth
can handle. If the server permits it, it can also download at net speed
instead of in real time.

Although not a problem with ShoutCast, an increasing problem with both
real and wma streams is the attempt to hide the real url to thwart stream
capture. Enter another nifty little program. Project URL snooper. he
doesn't have a nice web page but here is some info:

http://p084.ezboard.com/fstreemeboxvcrfrm7.showMessage?topicID=37.topic

This is a specialized network sniffer that latches onto the internet
interface on your computer and sniffs out URLs embedded in the data
stream. A typical real media stream (video or audio) setup transaction
will generate 5 or 6 urls, one of which is obvious as the correct one.

For the rare instance where the DRM thwarts this method, Total Recorder
http://www.highcriteria.com/ will do the job. This program inserts itself
into the data stream going to the sound card and records it to file.
Anything that generates sound in the speakers can be recorded. Only
problem I've had so far is that TR's driver conflicts with QuickTime.
They fight over which will be the default. My solution was to delete QT.
Letting TR use the default system sound driver also works if you must QT.

John
---
John De Armond
johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net