Subject: Re: OT: Atmel 8051 Microprocessors and Rockbox

Re: OT: Atmel 8051 Microprocessors and Rockbox

From: Daniel Stenberg <>
Date: 2005-01-13

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Dave Jones - HFP Acoustical wrote:

> Is the 8051 up to the task?

At what speed? The SH-based Archoses are only 11-12 MHz with about one cycle
per instruction so I would guess that a reasonably clocked 8051 would reach
about the same performance.

I assume this baby uses 16 bit ints in the compiler? The TCC730 of Archo Gmini
is also a platform that does that so we will have Rockbox 16/32 (int/long) bit
fixed "soon".

I can think of any major obstacles that would prevent Rockbox from running on
such a platform.

BTW, you'll also gain lots of data/code if you're not using a (graphical)

  Daniel Stenberg -- --