Subject: Re: OT: Atmel 8051 Microprocessors and Rockbox

Re: OT: Atmel 8051 Microprocessors and Rockbox

From: Dave Jones - HFP Acoustical <>
Date: 2005-01-13

At 12:15 PM 1/13/2005, you wrote:
>On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Dave Jones - HFP Acoustical wrote:
>>Is the 8051 up to the task?
>At what speed? The SH-based Archoses are only 11-12 MHz with about one
>cycle per instruction so I would guess that a reasonably clocked 8051
>would reach about the same performance.

Supposedly 16 MHz at full power operation, with about one cycle per
instruction. So that sounds good, I guess.

>I assume this baby uses 16 bit ints in the compiler? The TCC730 of Archo
>Gmini is also a platform that does that so we will have Rockbox 16/32
>(int/long) bit fixed "soon".

That is correct.

>I can think of any major obstacles that would prevent Rockbox from running
>on such a platform.
>BTW, you'll also gain lots of data/code if you're not using a (graphical)

So a character display rather than a bitmapped one? Interesting point. I
wonder if using talkbox and some external memory for the voice clips we
could do away with a display altogether... I would think that would
simplify some things, but perhaps seriously complicate other things...

> Daniel Stenberg -- --

Dave Jones P.E., Senior Project Engineer
HFP Acoustical Consultants
6001 Savoy Dr., Suite 115
Houston, Texas 77036
713.789.9400 (phone)