Subject: Serial Port Mod Question(s)

Serial Port Mod Question(s)

From: Dave Jones - HFP Acoustical <>
Date: 2005-01-17

I have a Jukebox Recorder disassembled for service and I thought I'd like
to do the serial port mod, so I could play around with two way
communication with my JBR.

I've searched the archives, and I've got a couple of questions about the
mod that I can't seem to find the answer to:

1) First off, I have a recorder 20, with a version 1.0 mainboard PCB and a
version 2.1B interface PCB Does anyone have a photo or two of the serial
mod connection points for that PCB? The photos of the serial mod on the page are of a very different (player?) PCB.

If not I'll trace try to trace the CPU pins for the Tx1 and Rx1 signals but
I'm not so good at that sort of thing.

2) I'd like to keep my line-in connection untouched so I can record while
also monitoring the serial port, can I use the SPDIF connection for my
serial port? I'm confused because it looks like the SPDIF should take a
three part plug (it has three separate contacts) but the two ring contacts
seem to be internally shorted either in the plug or on the board. For a
serial port I need three connections right? (Tx, Rx, Ground)

3) Can plugins access the debug facility to send and receive serial data on
SCR1? i.e. could I write a plugin that communicated with a device and
downloaded/uploaded data to it via a UART link?

I apologize if these have been addressed elsewhere.

Thanks for the excellence that is Rockbox!

Dave Jones P.E., Senior Project Engineer
HFP Acoustical Consultants
6001 Savoy Dr., Suite 115
Houston, Texas 77036
713.789.9400 (phone)