Subject: Re: First experience of iRiver H-140

Re: First experience of iRiver H-140

From: Neon John <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:28:57 -0500

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:36:55 +0100, "Ronald Teune" <rtwolf_at_gmx.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>quote from:
>http://www.meritline.com/usb-retractable-cable-a-male-a-male-cables.html
>
>USB 1.1 compliant
>Speed transfer rates up to 12 Mbps depending on USB version
>Maximum conductivity and error-free data transmission
>
>So, you're right, probably no USB 2.0 speeds possible. Too bad, because
>this long cable is just... well... long.

There is nothing in a cable per se to limit the speed. Marketing
propaganda aside, I've never experienced any problem with USB2 and long
cables and I push the envelope. I have several 15 extension cables. I've
used 2 in series and had no problem with a USB2 hard drive nor a USB2 WiFi
client device. The USB spec is extremely conservative and apparently
cable manufacturers have greatly exceeded the minimum spec so we can "get
away with murder" so to speak.

Obviously I can't speak for that particular product but I think I'll order
one to see. That looks like a handy accessory to keep in the laptop bag.

John
---
John De Armond
johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net