Subject: fm rec power problem

fm rec power problem

From: no ah <zeno_at_warpmail.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:00:25 -0800

I have been unable to correlate this trouble with previous list search,
but hope someone might be able to diagnose it.
I recently obtained non-functional fm recorder. installed an 80gb
seagate drive ST98022A, and for the most part, it works.
however, I am first of all, unable to charge from the DC jack in most
cases. The jack itself is intact, and I found no broken connection
apparent to me.
when charging on usb, it is possible to continue using it if I enter
diag screen before plugging. do not recall possibility of avoiding usb
mode. in doing so I note the charging voltage is 7v, which is odd as the
usb power 5v.
when plugged into an unpowered usb, I am able to register an external
voltage via the dc jack by plugging usb power via an adaptor cable into
the dc jack (plugging the correct adaptor, which I tested at 7.5v still
has no result in this case), at which point a high pitch sound is
aparent and the external voltage reads about 2.3v.
I am wondering what might be wrong with the power system and what the
prospects for repair. as I have no powered usb2.0 port I have already on
several occasions had the drive die durring a transfer due to low power,
and this is not good. also a way to charge this thing away from a
computer will be neccesary.