Subject: Re: Many thanks and a microphone question

Re: Many thanks and a microphone question

From: Andreas Stemmer <groovingandi_at_gmx.de>
Date: 2005-01-19

Revati Raman Das wrote:
> I am relatively new to this group. Hence the query posted by me may be
> infidal. but I would be glad if you could help me out.
>
> I have a question regarding Archos Recorder V2, somewhat connected to
> kathy's question.
> Once I had called up archos support people and they mentioned to me
> that I would need a "preamp matching mike" worth $50( I felt that was
> a lot). I was wondering there would be any cost-effective substitue.

IIRC, I paid about 30 EUR for my archos preamped mic. It's not easy to
find cheaper mic-preamp combinations. And the archos mic is not too bad,
at least at long as you want to do simple voice recordings only. But it
has serious problems with loud music.

If you want to have good recordings of higher sound levels, it's
possible to use unamplified, battery powered electret condensor mics if
they produce enough level. I have a pair from
http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/ and I am quite happy with them.

For qualitative good recordings, you can easily spend a few hundred
bucks for a good preamp and the same again for a good mic, but in this
case you wouldn't use your jukebox to record, either (except you have a
preamp with integrated AD converter like this one:
http://www.core-sound.com/inbox.html ).

If you want to get a cheaper solution than the archos mic, you could try
to build a small preamp yourself, which is not too diffcult if you're
somewhat experienced with basic electronics. You'll find a lot of info
in the web about them.

This topic was discussed a lot already on the mailing list, so try
searching the archive for more detailed answers (and of course the FAQ:
http://www.rockbox.org/docs/faq.html#65 )

Andreas