Subject: Re: keep HDD spinning

Re: keep HDD spinning

From: Neon John <>
Date: 2005-01-26

There is a Linux utility called "hdparm" that, among other things, does
just that. I use it on my system to keep all my drive spun down after 5
minutes of idleness. You might grab a copy of the sources and see how
they do it.

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:49:54 +0100, Linus Nielsen Feltzing <>

>Ivo Burkart wrote:
>> I don't really honw about IDE, but isn't there a register in the HDD, wich
>> contains the spindown-time. Couldn't Rockbox set this timer in the
>> USB-connect event just before going to the USB-Screen?
>As a matter of fact we do. However, there are many ways of doing it, and
>the current way isn't the best solution. Someone with some time to spare
>should have a look at it.
>My idea is to set the powersave mode instead of calling ATA_STANDBY.

John De Armond
Cleveland, Occupied TN