Subject: Re: problem building tool chain

Re: problem building tool chain

From: Ray Lambert <>
Date: 2005-01-30

> From:
> Nix <>
> Date:
> Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:20:56 +0000
>On Thu, 06 Jan 2005, Ray Lambert murmured woefully:
>>> I'm trying to build the tool chain for rockbox but having some
>>> trouble: gcc won't compile. Binutils and gdb compile just fine but
>>> gcc fails on embed-bb.c (the error output is long so I won't post it
>>> unless someone requests it).
>Without the error output, the report is useless :( please post it.

Thanks for the response Nix. I did already manage to solve this
problem, however. It turned out to be just a case of Stupid Programmer
Error. In order to build the recommended version of gcc for rockbox,
one needs to introduce newlib. I had done this, but I had accidentally
made the symlink in the wrong place (build directory instead of gcc
source dir). Once I fixed this, my native gcc 3.4.2 built the cross-gcc
3.3.4 just fine.

In fact, I've already completed and released my first patch (A-B Repeat,
to rave user reviews! :-D I'm hoping now that some kind soul will
merge it into the trunk. ;-) ;-) ;-)