Subject: Re: Bug: Battery Charging with low voltage

Re: Bug: Battery Charging with low voltage

From: [IDC]Dragon <>
Date: 2005-01-31

Yeah, Rockbox is very shy about charging. It starts to consider it only
after 40 sec, too late if your cells are flat. It's known that it would be
better to enable charging asap, by the bootloader perhaps, and cut this
later if not needed.
I don't really dare to mess with the charging algorithm. Looks overly
complex to me, like if we would do a high current charge.

> Here's a short description about what is happening:
> - JBR V1 with Rockbox 2.3 flashed
> - 2000mAh NiMH batteries
> - deep discharge: on (see also tests below)

You should keep this off. It's rather useless for NiMH, since those have
practically no memory effect.

> Charge current of Rockbox is too low in that condition and it seems that
> the
> charging algorithm is not clearly knowing the current battery charge state
> (differences between currents 4mA = nothing and 15mA = low charge
> current).

We can't adjust the charging current, only enable or disable charging.
You're right, determining the battery status is difficult for us. If in
doubt and before the 1st measurement, Rockbox doesn't charge.

10 GB Mailbox, 100 FreeSMS
+++ GMX - die erste Adresse fr Mail, Message, More +++