Subject: Re: Archos Ondio: Who can recommend it?

Re: Archos Ondio: Who can recommend it?

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: 2005-02-02

> I want to buy an Archos Ondio but i'm not shure if it's what i expect: I
> wanna use it as recording machine for live-gigs and put it on line out at
> the mixer as my JBR60 now.

So you're recording line levels, with the line in jack?

>I think the gain against the JBR is the
> non-hdd-noise. Jrg H, is the recording quality equal or better than the
JBR?
> Recordings by internal microphone must be far better than with the JBR.
How long
> does the batteries/accus go far?

I haven't done much testing about recording. The quality of the internal mic
should be similar to the disk models, with the benefit of no spinning HD, of
course.

> What i will miss at the ondio is the non-illuminated display and the
> in-device charging circuit.

If you're good with soldering, you can upgrade the backlight, see:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome?topic=OndioBacklight

A primitive built-in charging is easy: a diode and ~15 Ohm resistor from the
USB power to the positive battery side.

Jrg

--
10 GB Mailbox, 100 FreeSMS http://www.gmx.net/de/go/topmail
+++ GMX - die erste Adresse fr Mail, Message, More +++