Subject: do you have a spare Recorder battery cover ?

do you have a spare Recorder battery cover ?

From: Christian Mahr <christian.mahr.ulm_at_arcor.de>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:16:45 +0100

Dear all,

yesterday late evening it happened!

I found the left two batteries of my Archos recorder almost burned!!
Shortened, overheated, smelling strange, complete dead, including loss of some
strange fluids....

And: the battery cover on the left side almost completely melted - unusable!

Yes I know: thou shalt use original Archos cells. Instead I used latest
Japanese 2300mAh NiMH types....

First analysis revealed that only the left 2 cells were affected. The two on
the right hand side seems still OK.
The cover of the cell on the right lower corner was somewhat scratched. So I
tend to believe that some contact between this cell and the metal sheet below
might have actually shortened the left 2 cells?

Question 1: Am I the first one to experience this?
Question 2: Any further insights on the problem or recommendations what to
do?

I actually cleaned the machine, resoldered the right lower corner battery
contact to the metal sheet housing, replaced all cells and applied some tape
to all the metal where the batteries do rest on.
After this procedure, it works again. I am afraid that the disk drive (not
being in use at the time of desaster) might have taken the overtemperature
period somewhat serious - but it still does work.

But what I am now looking for:

--> Can somebody offer a spare battery cover for Archos Recorder 20 for a few
bucks? Mabye also from another archos type? Anthing from your private Archos
graveyard? (I might be even interested in a complete recorder, dead or alive
- if the price is OK).

Thank you for your consideration!

        Christian