Subject: Re: More aggressive Rockbox battery charging

Re: More aggressive Rockbox battery charging

From: Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren_at_smiths-aerospace.com>
Date: 2005-02-07

[IDC]Dragon wrote:
>>Matthias is using a 9+v charger which, according to the FAQ, gives him
>>about
>>140mA current into the Archos. The problem is, this is only slightly more
>>than is necessary just to run the AJR (and less than needed when the disk
>>spins up). With a limit of 40% duty cycle (24/60), his charger is falling
>>behind.
>

> The Recorder hardware can measure both the cell voltage and the DC input
> voltage, and could derive the charging current from that. Perhaps the duty
> cycle should be a function of this?
>
> Jörg

Yes, that would be excellent. At a minimum, this would give us a good
estimate of what the initial duty cycle should be, which we can then
adjust up or down to achieve the desired charge rate. The voltage
difference may also give us some clues as to how much current we are
actually putting into the batteries, which should be better information
for decision making than voltages (especially for trickle charging).

I have not had time to mess much with Rockbox lately. I'll have to dig
out the schematics again, review NiMH battery charging, and learn some
more about the power management routine... would someone please slow the
earth's rotation? My days are too short :-(.

gvb