Subject: Re: More aggressive Rockbox battery charging

Re: More aggressive Rockbox battery charging

From: Jerry Van Baren <>
Date: 2005-02-07

[IDC]Dragon wrote:
>>Matthias is using a 9+v charger which, according to the FAQ, gives him
>>140mA current into the Archos. The problem is, this is only slightly more
>>than is necessary just to run the AJR (and less than needed when the disk
>>spins up). With a limit of 40% duty cycle (24/60), his charger is falling
> The Recorder hardware can measure both the cell voltage and the DC input
> voltage, and could derive the charging current from that. Perhaps the duty
> cycle should be a function of this?
> Jörg

Hi Jörg,

I'm confused.

1) In adc.h I see the comment:
#define ADC_EXT_POWER 7 /* The external power voltage,
V=X*0.0148 */

2) On the schematics, I see the raw power coming in, going through a 82K
resistor and clamped by a zener to 2.7v.

3) In power.c, I see (cutting out the #ifdefs):
bool charger_inserted(void)
     /* Recorder */
     return adc_read(ADC_EXT_POWER) > 0x100;

I'm having a hard time reconciling the three pieces of information.
What am I missing???