Subject: Re: Archos Car Adapter

Re: Archos Car Adapter

From: Manuel Dejonghe <limbus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 00:26:32 +0100

you're always welcome.
I dunno why, but I felt somehow that I was explaining more than needed :-)

Well, if you are techie by profession, you've had much more education
in that area that I have.

Nevertheless I think you must have been measuring something wrong. I
don't think ANY electronic circuit is able to get too hot to touch it
with bare hands by draining 70 mA at 12 V (assumed), 0,84 Watts if I'm
not barking up the completely wrong tree here. That would be something
like the invention of a new power source.
If the regulator circuit is REALLY draining solely 70mA to your power
supply/car, maybe then your circuit is draining somehow power by the
archos ?
This will certainly show up as soon as you measure the current flow
between l4940 and your archos.

There is another thing I just think of, that I could think of could
apply if you connected by mistake a RecorderV2 to the circuit.
For the RecorderV1 (charging control done in software) the charging
current to the batteries (thus power drain) rises WITH the voltage.
The v2 (charging control done in hardware, so maybe completely
different, and maybe I'm on the woodway again) has a far lower power
rating (6V instead of 10-12V). So the circuit would deliver far too
high voltage (which should in second be limited by a second regulator
inside the archos) and the charging control MAY even drain more power
than expected.

Regards, Manuel