Subject: Re: More Responsive Track Switching

Re: More Responsive Track Switching

From: Noah Smith <midblue_at_carolina.rr.com>
Date: 2005-02-16

"Linus Nielsen Feltzing" wrote:
> Noah Smith wrote:
>> What could be done, is to make a part of the buffer permanently reserved
>> for the next track on the playlist. When the playing song's
>> buffer first fills, so does the next track's smaller pre-buffer.
>
> Although the idea is fine, it will complicate the buffer handling a lot.
> For example, the prebuffer has to be dynamically located, since it will
> become the "main" buffer as soon as the new track starts playing.

Is that necessary? Wouldn't it be possible to refill the main buffer and
just leave the prebuffer where it is, and allow it to be depleted? I guess
in my mind, I'm picturing the prebuffer being tapped upon track change and
then the mp3 decoder being directed to the regular buffer after it has
recovered from the change.

Noah