Subject: Gapless Playback

Gapless Playback

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 03:24:05 +0000

At 21:46 17/02/2005, you wrote:
>Ray Lambert wrote:
> > I'm trying lame --nogap right now. So how does --nogap work, exactly?
> > Doesn't it have to cut or insert something to prevent partial frames?
>
>I'm not sure, I tried it once with Exact Audio Copy and it didn't work.
>I didn't investigate further since the other procedure (extract as one
>file and cut afterwards) worked well for me.
>
>I guess you have to encode all tracks at once with lame to have the
>desired effect. Something like
>
>lame --nogap track1.wav track2.wav track3.wav ...
>
>Perhaps Björn or Johan who reported succesful usage of the --nogap
>option can jump in here and describe it further.
>
>Andreas

http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-29618.html

"LAME's --nogap switch is only useful for multiple MP3 encodes on the same
commandline. Instead of leaving the trailing silence, whatever unfilled
time that remains on the end of the MP3 is used to encode the beginning of
the next track. Because of this, --nogap is only useful for listening to
such songs strictly in order... or you'll find that some of the MP3s are
missing a small clip of the beginning & contain a small bit of the next
track at the end."

BC