Subject: simulator build status

simulator build status

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: 2005-02-21

Howdy

On the 19th of February, I committed my simulator build overhaul. The reasons
for my work include:

o Made the sims use the SOURCES files in the same way the target builds are
o Made the Makefiles used the same way when sims are built as when building
   for target
o Moved more decision-making to the configure script instead of doing it
   run-time in Makefiles

Results of this work include:

o Much simpler Makefiles
o No more editing things at two places when you add code to the build
o Only one kind of root Makefile is made (by configure)

The big downside of my commit:

o It doesn't build on cygwin! (neither the X11 nor the win32 version)

This last item is bothering me of course, but what worse is, it is obstructing
people to do good work on Rockbox since they now cannot build the latest CVS
version and test stuff in the simulator.

What to do about it? I will sort out the problem, but it may take some time.

First, since I don't have a windows installation for developer work I need to
install cygwin somewhere and spend time in front of someone else's computer
for a while to get this sorted. Also, Real Life (tm) interfers with this since
I will be away on vacation from feb 23rd to march 2nd.

So, unless anyone else steps forward and helps me fix the cygwin simulator
build issues, I will do it in due time. Have no doubts about that. Just be
patient.

I don't think reverting the patch is the right way forward, but if there are
many people using cygwin who think this is a major problem, then we should
consider it. (Or we could do a CVS branch or something to allow both ways for
a while until fixed.)

Sorry for the inconveniences.