Subject: Re: AW: AW: Update to the AJRv1 recharging

Re: AW: AW: Update to the AJRv1 recharging

From: Jerry Van Baren <vanbaren_at_cideas.com>
Date: 2005-02-21

> Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:18:20 +0100
> From: "Matthias Klumpp" <Matthias.Klumpp@gmx.de>
> Subject: AW: AW: Update to the AJRv1 recharging
> To: "'Rockbox development'" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
>
> Hi Jerry,

<snip>

> # Please run a while in your test configuration (a few power cycles)
> # and then send me the powermgmt.csv file so I can see how the
> # charge/discharge cycles look in your test cases.
>
> Could you explain the test condition a little bit more please (?)
> As I understood you want me NOT to do a long term test (e.g. 12h) but some
> shorter times with more power cycles ?
> How much time should I run the JBR ?
> How much cycles ?
> Any other special things (discharge while not connected or similar) ?
>
> Let me know, so I can do that during the next day.
>
> Matthias

Hi Matthias,

You're working too hard at this testing thing :-). I'm just interested
in a test run of exactly how you have been using your AJR which isn't
working well for you with the existing AJR recharging algorithm. As I
understand it, you run your AJR in your car with several on/off cycles.

That is all I'm looking for. I want to see what sort of "trickle_sec"
(percentage charger "on" time) you are seeing with your lower voltage
charge voltage. I also want to make sure my tweaking of the algorithm
is working (but not overworking :-).

One of my changes to the algorithm is to go straight to "top-off" if the
battery is already nearly fully charge (the original algorithm waits for
the battery to drop to 85% and then does a full charge cycle). I don't
believe this will harm the battery but I will probably improve this to
start the charge in the given state using the following criteria
(percentages picked somewhat arbitrarily):
 0%- 84% - full charge cycle (charge->topoff->trickle)
85%- 95% - top-off (topoff->trickle)
95%-100% - trickle

Thanks,
gvb