Subject: Re: the ALDI rockbox?

Re: the ALDI rockbox?

From: Vladimir Pantelic <>
Date: 2005-02-21

BlueChip wrote:
> Perhaps more relevantly ...are there any players/manufacturers, other
> than Archos, who used the MAS reference board as the basis of their player.

The MAS3507 is/was also used by SSI in their "NEO" players

and in the discontinued "M3PO" by TerraTec:

and of course in the very first flash based MP3 player, the "MPMAN":

The encoder chip MAS3587 is used in current PLC audio bridges:

> Although, to be honest, with the way the HP & gmini (I pair these, not
> only for their concurrent development, but for their effect on the
> Rockbox source code) are coming along, I think that the future is not
> with MAS based players, but with CPU based players.

Yes. When the MAS was "new", having the CPU power to do MP3 was not the usual,
now MP3 decoding is a commodity, you cannot buy a chip that does not do it :-)

>> I have wondered if there may be some brands out there that are Archos
>> models
>> in disguise.

Not that I know of.