Subject: Re: More Responsive Track Switching

Re: More Responsive Track Switching

From: Noah Smith <midblue_at_carolina.rr.com>
Date: 2005-02-22

<joerch.net@web.de> wrote in message news:1605736083@web.de...
>>>Also, if the prebuffer is kept as short as possible, say 4 or 5 seconds,
> then perhaps this won't be too much of an issue. People usually have to
> hear
> at least a few seconds before deciding to keep or skip a track.
>

> Hi Noah,
>
> only 5 seconds? why don't you set up the spindown time for the hdd to 10
> seconds?
> That means if you > skip the song during the first 10 seconds the hdd is
> still running
> when you skip.

Joerch,
That still wouldn't be quite as fast as having the first part of a song
buffered in ram already, which is what I was hoping for. On top of that, the
idea wasn't just about switching tracks immediately after they start, but
about quick switching whenever the need arose.

Then again, since the prebuffer doesn't seem to be happening, I'll take what
I can get. Thanks for the suggestion. =)

Noah