Subject: Re: the ALDI rockbox?

Re: the ALDI rockbox?

From: Jerry Van Baren <>
Date: 2005-02-22

Vladimir Pantelic wrote:

> No, this is fine. I know that you can change the pitch (and speed) of the
> MAS by changing the crystal frequency setting in the MAS.
> But what the M3PO does is not simple pitch shift, the pitch stays the
> same while the speed changes. The M3PO offers a speed setting between
> 0.25x to 20x, this extreme range cannot by achieved by tweaking the crystal
> frequency. (as said, you can "use" the range between 90% and 110%,
> everything else
> does not sound very nice)
> Regards,
> Vladimir

BC explained it but tersely. Changing the playback speed (e.g. speed it
up) inherently causes a pitch shift up. What the M3PO has is an
additional _software_ algorithm that shifts the pitch the same amount in
the opposite direction (down) which results in no apparent change to the
pitch but faster playback.