Subject: Re: VoiceBox script punctuation

Re: VoiceBox script punctuation

From: Brian Wolven <brian.wolven_at_verizon.net>
Date: 2005-02-28

Maynframe wrote:
> Hi, listers,
>
> The VoiceBox script worked beautifully. My question is there a way to have
> dashes and underscores silenced? Many of my song title words are separated
> by dashes or underscores rather than spaces and it gets a little annoying to
> hear:
> A underscore Hard underscore Rain's underscore A underscore Gonna underscore
> Fall.mp3

I can revise the script to remove some (or all) punctuation from the
voiced names, replacing it with spaces in the voiced text strings.
AFAICT (based on my quick test), underscores are the only things that
the MS speech synthesizer will actually say out loud. Periods, commas,
question marks, semicolons and dashes just produce a pause (if anything
at all) in the speech.

Note that this won't have any effect on your file or voice clip names,
only on the spoken representation of those names.