Subject: Help with Recorder 20..

Help with Recorder 20..

From: Kyle McGee <mcgee_kyle_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2005-03-06

Hello -

I've had a Archos Recorder 20 for some time and it has
been a work horse. But, the other day it stopped
working and then came up with the following error upon
reboot:

ATA error: -42

Press ON to debug

After pressing ON, the screen runs some tests, but
doesn't give me anything I can translate. I can also
boot it with the original Archos software and it give
the following message:

Read access error!

Can't read from hard drive

Upon bootup (with either software), I can hear the
drive making chug noises, but not spinning up. I think
there are drive problems, but it may also be a
connector. I took the unit apart, but I can't find
anything that looks obviously wrong - to my untrained
eyes.

Any ideas? I am pretty sure it isn't the batteries or
software. I think it's the drive. Any quick solution?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kyle