Subject: Re: Attn: Audioscrobbler Users

Re: Attn: Audioscrobbler Users

From: Peter van Hardenberg <pvh_at_uvic.ca>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:44:36 -0800

> On Tue, 2005-08-03 at 12:00 +0100, rockbox-request_at_cool.haxx.se wrote:
> > Hi Matt,
> >
> > don't get me wrong, but I don't understand the gain of such services.

> > I really don't like the idea to send my current playlist for statistics or whatever to any server. Sorry when my playlists are not listet in the web.
> >
> > Joerch

Audioscrobbler is wonderfully awesome. It is tightly integrated into
amaroK, which if you are a Linux user, kicks ass. You can enable an
option which will append Audioscrobbler recommendations to your
playlists, so you can queue up an album and when it ends, more similar
music will follow up. Last.FM (a sister site) will create a custom
streaming radio station from your audioscrobbler profile, and the charts
they generate are just the bees knees.

For example, Radiohead is the most popular band (among audioscrobbler
users) anywhere in the world, and Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, and a
surprising number of other old bands still feature in the top twenty.

I'd love a plugin for Rockbox which would give me the ability to upload
my listening stats to Audioscrobbler. I always feel like I'm "wasting
listens" when I don't get my stats tracked. My friends check my profile
for music tips (as I check theirs) and I don't have to worry about
rescuing the data when I reformat.

This is one of the best projects in the Music Information Retrieval
world, and is highly respected. All their data is Creative Commons
licensed, and they don't have any ads on their site (or at least, there
are no traces left behind with Adblock running in FF.)

I know there are people out there who are not interested in sharing
their information with other people, and that is very understandable. On
the other hand, many of us see music as a community experience.
Audioscrobbler provides tools to help with that.

As with Matt, I am not in any way affiliated with AS, though I am taking
a class with a Music Information Retrieval expert who speaks fondly of
their character.

All the best,
Peter van Hardenberg