Subject: Re: I'm confused, trying to make my folders and files talk

Re: I'm confused, trying to make my folders and files talk

From: Brian Wolven <>
Date: 2005-03-08

Sarai D. Bucciarelli wrote:
> Okay:
> I installed the MP3 encoder to my desk top and downloaded the
> to my desk top. I'm confused, where do I unzip the voice box to? Do I hook
> up the archos to the computer if so what do I put in the rockbox
> directory? How exactly do I make the files and folders read by name? I can't
> drag and drop files. When I add new files to folders, what will I have to do
> to make them talk? I'm confused.
> Sarai D. Bucciarelli

Nothing *has* to be placed on your archos or in your rockbox directory. Just
unzip the voicebox files to a folder somewhere - it can be on your PC or on the
archos, either way - it doesn't matter. Make sure you place a copy of the lame
executable in the voicebox folder - the one with the voicebox.wsf script. Get it
here if you don't already have it:

Run lamewin32.exe to install lame and then copy just the lame.exe file into the
voicebox folder.

To get folders and/or file names spoken, just drag the desired folder from your
Archos onto the voicebox.wsf script using the file manager, or run ("open") the
wsf script and type the desired folder name in at the prompt. This can be the
*whole* drive, e.g., j:\ but it need not be. You may wish to try it on a
subfolder first to make sure things are set up and working properly.

To control whether folders, filenames, or both are voiced, you can edit the
settings in the voiceOptions.vbs file - use a plain old text editor. Edit the
following lines, near the bottom of the file, setting them either to True or
False, to control what types of things get voiced. I think they are both set to
true initially.

  Const VoiceFolders = True

  Const VoiceFiles = True

There are additional instructions in the readme file in the .zip, but that ought
to get you going.