Subject: Re: trying again - jbr 20 only halfway recognized?!

Re: trying again - jbr 20 only halfway recognized?!

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: 2005-03-23

Hello Mark

> This sometimes happens to me, both with my Archos and a
> ThumbDrive - Even if you find the drive and open it, you are
> limited to 8.3 filenames!

> I have always found a reboot, whilst leaving the drive
> connected fixes the problem. In addition, I only generally see
> this occur if I have been using "Standby". If I shutdown and
> power off the PC when not in use, I don't think this fault
> occurs...

This is an explorer problem. On XP, this happens much less often
if you upgrade to SP2 (at least it did for me).

Anyway, if you experience these effects, you don't need to reboot.
Simply open the task manager and kill *all* 'explorer.exe'
processes. The windows explorer is also in charge of providing
the desktop, so doing this will make the taskbar vanish. You need
to restart the first explorer via the task manager's menu
(file->new task). Then start another explorer. The drive letter
should now be there, including lfn support.

Regards, Jens