Subject: Re: FM Recorder Boot Issues

Re: FM Recorder Boot Issues

From: Frederik Möllers <>
Date: 2005-04-12

I had a problem with booting, too. But I found out that it was because I
"Protected" the HD... I have a pretty new Jukebox and with the new drivers
you can "Protect" the HD from being read without a specified password. The
only problem with this protection is that Rockbox can't read it without a
password, too, and since it doesn't support that feature, it couldn't boot.
If you didn't protect the drive then I'm afraid I can't help you further...
Just one tip: Before opening it and doing something by yourself, send it to
Archos... their support is really good... when I broke the display, they
sent me the repaired box and didn't charge me anything because they said I
still had warranty although I bought the box used over eBay... and when I
broke it again, they sent me a completely new box for only the repair costs.

> Hi group,
> I recently purchased a used FMR off a friend of mine. He said he was
> having
> problems with it, but what he described sounded easy enough to address.
> The
> biggest issue he had with it was an intermittent headphone jack, which I
> quickly repaired when I got the unit. I than flashed rockbox onto the
> device
> and set out to enjoy a new toy when another problem cropped up.
> The present issue, and the one I'm not certain about, is in regards to
> booting. At times, I can hit the on button, and the FMR briefly lights up,
> can hear the HD spinning up as well, and it then turns itself back off. If
> hold down the ON button, the lights stay lit, and the harddrive continues
> spinning, but Rockbox never starts. Eventually I'll try again and the
> Archos
> will suddenly decide that it wants to boot, but it's still rather hit or
> miss. I searched the group archives but I couldn't find anything concrete.
> Any ideas what's going on?
> Noah

+++ GMX - Die erste Adresse für Mail, Message, More +++
1 GB Mailbox bereits in GMX FreeMail