Subject: magnet zap (was: no subject)

magnet zap (was: no subject)

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: 2005-04-20

> Also, when plugging it into a computer, the mp3 player will not register
> with the computer half of the time, and when it does, it comes up as a
> "Local Disk Drive" (not "Jukebox:") and also reports the drive to be
> unformatted.
>
> What can I do to make my MP3 player usable?

You may try some low level formatting tool, from the manufacturer of your
drive. Such probably won't work across USB, so you'd need to remove the
drive and connect it directly, with an IDE adapter.

But for modern drives, magnetic erasure is a killer, because the disk also
contains servo information, to tell the drive where the head currently is
positioned. This part is written by the manufacturer.
It's not like a floppy, with fixed tracks.

Sorry,
Jrg

--
+++ GMX - Die erste Adresse fr Mail, Message, More +++
1 GB Mailbox bereits in GMX FreeMail http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail