Subject: Re: Red LED death

Re: Red LED death

From: Ronald Teune <rtwolf_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 00:37:37 +0200

Hello Jens,

after a loooooong time, here's my definite answer: No, it doesn't help.
Today I had to run again for quite some time, and it happened at one
occasion when I turned on the box and started to run immediately, the
sound took about 20 seconds to start, was playing for 5 seconds and then
it stopped. Play/Pause would change the play/pause sign (not sure how this
is at RLD, I think it's the same), but on, F1, etc didn't work. The red
led was off.
After that I turned the archos off, waited for a few seconds, started to
run, and at the next spinup I got the RLD.
What does the Disk poweroff do, actually (as in: when, why, where does it
turn off)? It didn't seem to be documented, neither in the manual nor in
the IRC logs.
And why could this help?
Or are there any other suggestions of things I could look to in the debug
menu or at other places?

Thanks,
Ronald

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:06:21 +0200, Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
wrote:

> Hello Ronald
>
>> Today I was running again (delayed train...), and pressed On
>> before I did. Indeed I was able to press up and down to move
>> the cursor, and the menu was working too.
>> * The red led was on constantly (duh), and the hard drive was
>> spinning (at least, it sounded like it was spinning). * The
>> debug menu -> mpeg thread showed the uppermost progressbar at
>> about 80% filled, and stuck there. On the bottom of the
>> screen, one of the numbers next to the 'wm' thingy was 0
>> (forgot which one). * Partition info was showing correctly. *
>> Free space was shown, but when I pressed Play to check for
>> free space, it hung.
>> A solution to the problem would probably be to shut down the
>> hard disk, then turn it on, and try again. Is this enough info
>> to detect the RLD from within the rockbox code? Or should I
>> look to other debug entries?
>
>> Hoping for a solution...
>
> One important question: Do you have the hd poweroff option
> (General Settings->System->Disk->Disk Poweroff) enabled or
> disabled? If it is currently disabled, could you enable it and
> check if this improves anything?
>
> Regards, Jens

                        _
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )