Subject: Re: Iriver H10 Support?

Re: Iriver H10 Support?

From: karl 'the_angry_angel' southern <the_angry_angel_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 20:47:16 +0100

Brian Wolven wrote:

>>> Cracking DRM is seriously dodgy business if you ever plan to set
>>> foot in america again.
>>> So, I would guess not.
>>

>> Why would you have to crack DRM to get RockBox on this player? Unless
>> I'm missing something fundamental about the H10, it doesnt require
>> DRM-ed only files, so RockBox could in theory run (when modified),
>> playing normal mp3/ogg/whatever files assuming we could write the
>> necessary codecs...
>

> I assume he was referring only to the idea of supporting Rhapsody
> downloads with Rockbox. "Normal" music use should be just fine.

I knew I was being thick..

I was actually considering buying a H10 as my next purchase, to replace
my aging AJB6000. But since it uses PortalPlayer, I'm unsure if I will
because I know the original firmware will be crap and I'm unsure if
there are any efforts/attempts we can make to reverse engineer it :(

As Linus said on IRC last month:

<LinusN> H10 is most likely out of reach
<LinusN> it uses the PortalPlayer chipset
<LinusN> same as ipod

Just to hijack this thread, any thoughts on a AJB6000 replacement, other
than a H10, or Hp-1xx/3xx?