Subject: Re: auto-volume / thoughts on peak meter

Re: auto-volume / thoughts on peak meter

From: Philipp Pertermann <>
Date: 2005-05-11

Michiel van der Kolk wrote:

> The runtime database will have a volume adjustment field per song,
> I guess an "autovolume" would be setting those automatically...?

I think that these things are two different animals:

a) auto volume
Basically a compressor that dynamically adopts the volume independently
of the song. Although the mas already offers that feature we might want
to have more control over a software compressor. I don't know wether the
iRivers feature a hw compressor. I assume we'll want one anyway.

b) song based volume
Adjust the volume per song according to data stored in tags / db.

I was talking about a) only.
But to calculate a volume average of a song on the fly and then store it
in the db - that's another good example that could utilize a
volume-listener concept.