Subject: Re: auto-volume / thoughts on peak meter

Re: auto-volume / thoughts on peak meter

From: Chris Hurley <chrish-rockbox_at_ax84.com>
Date: 2005-05-12

Philipp Pertermann wrote:

> The simplest way to hook something in for a quick test would be to use the
> existing code of the peak meter. I'd recommend to hook into the function
> peak_meter_peek. Drawback is that the code is only called when the peak
> meter is turned on in wps. But we mustn't spread mas peak reads across the
> code as each peak read 'resets' the peak register in the hardware. If the
> peak meter and auto volume code read out the mas in an interleaved way
> they'd 'reset' each others peak values. Thus it's preferable to centralize
> the mas peak register access.

That's where I thought I'd add it- The values were already being read
for the peak meter display, so it would be convenient for the test.

Of course, its very obvious that this sort of thing is only useful on
the MAS-equipped units, but those are the only ones that are usable
right now.

I've been fiddling with some ideas for how to handle the process as
opposed to where to put it when its decided how to manage it, but
nothing real solid yet. Already shot holes in several potential plans,
however. :)

-Chris