Subject: Re: Recording Guitar With a Microphone

Re: Recording Guitar With a Microphone

From: BlueChip <>
Date: 2005-05-16

>>Why do you want to record something that is already an electrical
>>signal by using a microphone? If it is to show what the quality of your
>>amplifier is, you will need a good microphone, I guess. If you want an
>>inexpensive microphone, you can as well externalize the internal one, as
>>I told before. It's as good as any inexpensive external microphone, or
>>at least way more cheap...
>>Neat website, btw ;-)
>How else would you record a guitar amp and cabinet?

Have you looked at Pressure Zone Microphones? (PZM) (aka "boundry mic")

I was told many many years ago that Rat Shack hold the patent on them - but
don't let that put you off - they are great devices.
talks about how to make one

more stuff:
Will tell you how to balance a Rat Shack branded one

You can place a few at varying distances from the drum kit or guitar and
record them all seperately, then mix down the most satisfying sound.

Consider placements in harmonic and non-harmonics wavelength differences
from the sound source.
As the root, consider the root note of the key you are playing in.