Subject: Re: Recording with the Archos recorder

Re: Recording with the Archos recorder

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 03:21:50 +0100

You seemed confused by my earlier mention of the volume knob on the
pre-amp, saying "the mic has no knob on it" (this thread has now gone
terribly out of synch)

The GAIN or VOLUME knob is on the PRE-AMP
...aka PHANTOM POWER SOURCE or "little black box that came with the mic so
it would work with the archos"

You cannot compare the "DEDICATED THIS IS ESPECIALLY FOR A MICROPHONE"
socket on a PC ...with... the "THIS IS FOR LINE IN, YOUR MIC WILL NEED A
PRE-AMP" socket on the Archos.

...Well, you CAN compare them, but you will not gain any helpful information.

YOU NEEEEED A PRE-AMP ...Use the one you have already paid for (or read the
list for advice on other-brand ones that some people use)

When you do take this advice and use the pre-amp provided, you may also
want to make sure that the pre-amp has a brand new shiny in-date battery
with a full charge, and also twiddle the "volume" knob one way and then the
other to appreciate the difference.

Final thought ...tell me you are plugging the mic into the LINE IN socket
on the BOTTOM of the unit, NOT the digital i/o socket on the TOP?

I think you have convinced yourself of a bunch of bad information based on
irrelevant test results and therefore are unwisely failing to appreciate
the simple solution.

I have been wrong at least once before ...but until you hook the unit up
the way it is intended, my advice will remain the same.

Good Luck,

BC