Subject: Re: hello all (Tremor optimization)

Re: hello all (Tremor optimization)

From: Pedro Vasconcelos <>
Date: 2005-05-23

On Mon, 23 May 2005 11:27:51 +0200
Thom Johansen <> wrote:

> The Coldfire processor we're using has 96kb of fast internal single
> cycle access RAM. The slow accesses we get from ordinary RAM is a pretty
> big bottleneck, so using this is beneficial.
> You can put a variable/array/whatever in IRAM by postfixing the
> definition with IDATA_ATTR, like this:
> int myarray[512] IDATA_ATTR;
> vorbis2wav doesn't support this right now, but I'll commit a fix for
> this in five minutes.

That's very interesting. Is it a cache or a separate memory range? I ask
this because most of the mdct functions take pointers: should IDATA_ATTR
be used at the allocation point or the usage point?

Anyway we have chose carefully what to use for because Tremor is using
~300kb at the moment (maybe there is a leak as well...)

Pedro Vasconcelos, School of Computer Science, University of St Andrews
"The difference between Theory and Practice
is greater in Practice than in Theory."