Subject: Re: Battery Deep Discharge?

Re: Battery Deep Discharge?

From: Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren_at_smiths-aerospace.com>
Date: 2005-05-24

Michael S. Peek wrote:
> What happened to deep discharge?
>
> I have a JBR20101. I just downloaded and flashed the latest daily build:
> rockbox-recorder-20050524.zip
>
> I've read other posts of the same question, and the respose was always 'You
> must have a v2 recorder'. Do I? How do I tell?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Michael Peek

Deep discharge was removed in the (fairly) recent battery charging
rework. Having "deep discharge" in the charging algorithm was confusing
and complicted the code. If you want to deep discharge, run your unit
unplugged. That is much simpler.

If you have your unit unplugged, you will know _why_ your batteries are
not fully charged -- with "deep discharge" in the "charge" algorithm
(doing discharge in a charge algorithm would be a misnomer), users had
partially charged batteries when they expected fully charged batteries,
contributing to the "poor battery life" issues.

gvb