Subject: crazy blinking red led

crazy blinking red led

From: EZankel <ezankel01_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 2005-06-05

I have a JBR FM which has been working great over the last year, but it
has been working oddly lately. Here's what happens:
-I turn it on and start listening....
-keep listening for a while...
-when I next look, the red led is blinking rapidly (about 2-3 times per
second) and the hard drive is not spinning down.

    What seems even weirder to me is that for the first few minutes the
hard drive works fine and the led blinks the way it is supposed to.
Still, I haven't been able to figure out when the led starts blinking.
I know that it is not just a problem with the led because the hard drive
does not spin down while the led is blinking erratically. I can feel it
vibrating a little in my hand and I also know because the battery goes
down very quickly. The back also seems to get a little warm... the way
it does when I copy a lot of songs onto it. I have the hard drive set
to spin down after 5 seconds and anti-skip set to 5 seconds as well,
although I don't think that is what is affecting it.
    At first I thought it might just be a bug with the older firmware I
had on it (from sometime in January...which would still be odd because
this problem just started happening a few days ago), so I upgraded to
today's daily build (CVS 050605). The problem is still happening.

Another different problem I have been having is that sometimes it
refuses to start up. After I push on, the green light turns on briefly,
the back light comes on, I hear the hard drive start to spin up, but it
fails and the unit turns off before anything comes on screen. Is this
battery failure of some sort? Is it in some way linked to what is
happening above?

help please!
thanks