Subject: Emacs-like center scrolling?

Emacs-like center scrolling?

From: Pedro Vasconcelos <pbv_at_st-andrews.ac.uk>
Date: 2005-06-13

Hi everyone,

I have a suggestion that I think would improve the center scrolling
patch: what the center scroll does right now is simply to start
scrolling the list whenever the cursor is position 2 lines from the
begining/end of the window, leaving the cursor fixed at this position
and scrolling the list one-line at a time.

I think a better solution would be let the cursor move right to end the
visible window and then scroll the list by half a page (window height),
so that the cursor is set at the center of the window. For people who
know the Emacs text editor, this is exactly how it does scrolling. The
advange of this is that it 1) avoids line-by-line window scrolling and
2) it allows you to see the context when moving through a long list. The
other advange is that the behavour is indepent of the font size (i.e.
window height).

I have no idea if this is easy to implement, but I thought I should make
the suggestion anyway.

What do other people think?

Pedro