Subject: Re: Emacs-like center scrolling?

Re: Emacs-like center scrolling?

From: Pedro Vasconcelos <>
Date: 2005-06-13

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:22:32 +0200
"Fabian Merki" <> wrote:

> hi pedro
> i wouldn't like that - i already was surprised of the current behaviour
> (although i almost got used to it *smile*) - it doesn't look natural to me.
> staying on the first or last would be my favorite.

Hi Fabi,

Actually I think the Emacs-like behaviour is much more "natural" than
the current center-scrolling. What I don't like about the current
center-scrolling is that there area couple of lines in the window that
are "inacessible" to the cursor which is counter-intuitive from a
GUI-design prespective. With Emacs-like scrolling all the lines window
are acessible to the cursor, it's just that the scrolling occurs
half-a-page at a time. This really is very easy to get used to, and given
the large popularity of Emacs editor in the Un*x world probabily a good
design choice.

Anyway my suggestion is for Emacs-like scrolling to replace
center-scrolling, but leave the default one-line at a time for those who
prefer it.