Subject: Re: Scrolling thread on iriver

Re: Scrolling thread on iriver

From: <>
Date: 2005-06-14

> Am I right in thinking that scrolling text on iriver causes it to 'puts'
> the entire string each time it scrolls it, even by one pixel? Is that
> efficient? Seems to me that it would be better to implement the scroll
> using something like a memcpy from the framebuffer and just use the
> string-print logic to print out the far right-hand column that scrolls in
> (or left hand if scrolling right).

In fact, since all the code and optimisations are in lcd_bitmap anyway,
this could just be achived by adding a new arg (src_stride defaulting to
nx) and doing a lcd_bitmap with src_stride == LCD_WIDTH and src actually
pointing inside lcd_framebuffer appropriately.

src_stride could be a useful addition anyway, for 'partial' blts for
example. could be handy in the future for advanced graphical wps stuff
perhaps (perhaps not..)

Anyone object if I take a crack at that?