Subject: Folder listing -> read it into memory?

Folder listing -> read it into memory?

From: Sander Sweers <>
Date: 2005-06-15

I would like to say that rockbox really rocks my iriver h120 :) It is
like Iriver cut some corners when it comes to sound quality, all my
mp3's and ogg's sound better!

When I go into the file listing the harddisk starts and after 5/6
seconds goes to sleep/standby. Now when i go into one of the sub
folders it has to start again, read the contents and then after 5/6
seconds sleeps again. I have a hundred or so folder in the root and I
almost never find what I want to play within 5 seconds.

Is it an idea to have the complete folder listing and its sub folders
read into memory? It can be discarded again after a new song has been
started but at least it would not cause the harddisk to restart.

Thanks for this great piece of work people, keep up the good work!

After a time, you may find that "having" is not so pleasing a thing,
after all, as "wanting." It is not logical, but it is often true.
Spock, "Amok Time"
stardate 3372.7