Subject: Re: A 'Tape' state for files

Re: A 'Tape' state for files

From: Neon John <jgd_at_johngsbbq.com>
Date: 2005-06-18

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:50:11 +0100, mat
<matholton@landofconfusion.com> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>Whilst reading a slashdot article about the death of the Cassette Tape,
>and reading the following comment:
>
>"Audio books have all seemed to be switching over to CD-ROM, but it
>makes me sad. I don't really care about ultra-high fidelity when being
>read a book. What I /do/ care about is not having it lose my place when
>I have to stop the car, etc. I rarely stop on a chapter boundary. And
>it's rare for audio players to remember the CD's their position well
>under all the circumstances they need to in order to make Audio Books on
>CD really work."

The author is ill-informed. Most all MP3 capable CD players (and
probably a lot of non-MP3 players too) have a simple resume feature,
even the $39 ChiCom specials at WallyWorld. I know about the later
because an employee just bought one to use to listen to audio books.

>..it occured to me that we are lacking this feature. Yes, I know we .
>have bookmarking but I think there is a better alternative. I suggest
>being able to mark a file (and album (folder) perhaps?) as a 'Tape', so
>whenever it is played it starts playing from where it left off, when the
>user last pressed stop. Also, the icon could change to that of a tape,
>indicating immediatly what the behaviour and state it was in.

This is exactly what Rockbox's RESUME feature does. No need for modes
or icon changes or anything else. Simply enable "resume" and there
you are.

John

---
John De Armond