Subject: Re: A 'Tape' state for files

Re: A 'Tape' state for files

From: mat <matholton_at_landofconfusion.com>
Date: 2005-06-18

>As a philosophical point, I personally detest bending new methods
tofit old paradigms (gad, slap me for using that word.) Tapes >were
tapes and file-based players are file-based players. Since you can store
as many marks as you like in a bookmark file, it >makes little sense to
cripple the facility to go to one mark per file.

Point taken but I don't agree that argument stands up to all cases. The
fact is that cassette's have an advantage that is not seen in _any_
'superior' device at the moment and that is the ability to continue
where they left off regardless of the device they are playing in. I.E.
listen to a tape in the car, arrive at your destination and take the
tape into the house and continue. Yes, the resume functionality has this
but not over multiple files. Yes, the bookmarking features has this, but
only if your remember to set the bookmark (what if your listening to
something and fall asleep?). A tape 'mode' for individual files would
elemenate the need to think about it at all.

Unless, I'm missing something.