Subject: Iriver "bleeding" mp2 48kHz buffering problems

Iriver "bleeding" mp2 48kHz buffering problems

From: Martin Borus <mborus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:36:16 +0200

Hi, I have some severe buffering problems with 48 kHz
mp2 direct rips from satellite. Strangely, I know that
I had one bleeding build that played the file in full in the
correct speed. That was the first one that had resampling
I tested. But since then all the dailies I tested failed on the
second file. All tests sone on a H140 Iriver.

First the good news:

1. Example: AFN Radio, mp2 48kHz, 128k, 4 hours length
Buffering starts at aprox 2:00 into the song.
Buffers for 80 seconds and than doesn't buffer
at least until 7:30 and I can forward to 30:00 minutes
into the file without any new HD access.

2. Example:
MTV TV sound, mp2 48 kHz, 192k, 2 hours length
Buffering starts at aprox 1:37 into the song.
Each pause is a short interruption, mostly followed
by a HD spinup.

Using bleeding edge from saturday:
1:47 pause
2:37 pause
2:57 pause
3:29 pause
3:59 pause
4:11 pause
and so on (stopped testing)

Daily build 23-06:
1:37 pause
1:51 pause
2:25 pause
2:39 pause
2:53 pause
3:10 pause
3:26 pause
3:40 pause
3:55 pause
4:03 pause
4:09 pause
4:18 pause
4:32 pause
4:49 pause
5:01 pause
5:16 pause
5:57 pause
6:27 pause
no more pauses - I can forward until 18:00 with no HD access!

Bleeding edge: Sunday, 10 pm

0:08 pause
0:15 pause
0:22 pause
0:31 pause
0:39 pause
0:45 pause
0:53 pause
1:01 pause
1:07 pause
1:16 pause
1:23 pause
1:29 pause
1:30 pause
1:37 pause
1:45 pause
1:52 pause
1:53 pause
2:02 pause
2:11 pause
2:17 pause
2:26 pause
2:32 pause
2:40 pause
2:45 pause
2:52 pause
3:02 pause
3:08 pause
3:15 pause
3:16 pause
3:26 pause
3:33 pause
3:40 pause
3:46 pause
3:52 pause
3:57 pause
4:00 pause
4:08 pause
4:14 pause
4:21 pause
4:29 pause
4:33 pause
4:39 pause
4:41 pause
4:47 pause
4:47 pause
and so on.... I'm stopping here, the unit get's hot!

Before each pause, The time display goes 0:00 and the HD spins up.

I also tried a
3. example:
BBC TV sound, mp2 48 kHz, 256k, 3 hours length
Pause each 6 seconds.

So it seems that the 48kHz-44Khz downsampling and the buffering are
fighting a battle
and that buffering looses...

Martin