Subject: Re: raising the bar in language support

Re: raising the bar in language support

From: Daniel Stenberg <>
Date: 2005-06-28

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, BlueChip wrote:

>> B) Possibly different translations depending on target player
> What word might translate differently on, say, the Player and the H300?
> Surely "record" is the same in every language, no matter what unit you own!?

Let me mention one example just about every Rockbox-using iriver owner face:
"Press PLAY to resume" (it is SELECT you should play)

Also, screen real estate allows different lengths. We already today have
different strings for player/recorder, with the exception that today all
models load all strings - which of course is a waste.

>> C) Possibly different voice strings depending on target player (and of
>> course no voice at all for a string)
> confused.

Since different models might feature different strings and therefore logically
also different voicing.

>> Suggestion: (format slightly inspired by apache's config file syntax)

> Why not just go for a full and very standard XML format.

I think your example answered this much better than I can: Full XML is just
not meant for human reading or writing, and these files most certainly are.

Also, I don't want to have to write/use a full XML parser for the language

  Daniel Stenberg -- --