Subject: Re: raising the bar in language support

Re: raising the bar in language support

From: Daniel Stenberg <>
Date: 2005-06-29

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Manuel Dejonghe wrote:

> why not apply a mechanism that takes advantage of the gcc-preprocessor ?
> I didn't have a look at it, but I am pretty sure the gcc is able to
> ONLY do the preprocessing stuff.

Sure, we already take advantage of that in SOURCES and the .lds files etc.

> With that, strings could be #ifdef-ed like code, depending on features and
> hardware limitations instead of model names.

Yes, but it would not fix all the problems and would make the language files
rather hostile to non-technical people (which translators often are).

The biggest problem it would leave out is how to make "uplang" work. At least
it isn't obvious in my head.

  Daniel Stenberg -- --