Subject: Re: h120: resume vs. play

Re: h120: resume vs. play

From: Christi Alice Scarborough <>
Date: 2005-06-30

Dave Wiard wrote:
> In the file browser, when I hit play with a file selected, I get a
> message saying "Nothing to resume". That's true. I have the player in
> stop mode. Would it be possible to flash up the "Nothing to resume" then
> start playing the selected track? I sometimes hit stop instead of pause
> and it drives me nuts that when I come back "Play" doesn't play.

amicon and I discussed this when I was implementing the new resume
functionality. While I in some sense feel the same as you, we concluded
that this would be confusing, since people would then assume the resume
button was a play button, and be surprised when the Jukebox started to
play a different track to the "one they pressed play on".

It comes down to a choice between behaving in a predictable manner vs
making an intelligent guess as to what the user wants. In the long run,
we feel it's less confusing for the ON button (it's not really a PLAY
button in iRiver Rockbox) to behave in a way that doesn't require you to
  remember state in your head as to whether or not a playlist was
playing last time you used it.